Gray & Son bid the Fairfield Parking Lot based on one single plan sheet and was awarded the job based on quantities and unit prices from Heavybid. In effect, this was like a design-build due to the short time frame. This was an eight-acre site with seven acres of paving to be used for transferring new cars from the Port of Baltimore. There was a pre-construction meeting on November 12, 2014, and had to be completed — in wet conditions — by December 31, 2014. A missed deadline would result in the client losing a 10-year lease with Amports. Gray & Sons did complete 95 percent of the work by the deadline for a successful project. The remaining 5 percent could not be done due to a permit issue.
What makes it interesting?
The six-week job was won based on quantities and unit prices from HeavyBid. Gray & Son received new plans each week and had to re-bid the project each week without changing the original contract amount. Design decisions were made after reviewing cost by item, and they projected costs as close as possible until they could verify with accounting a month after completion. The bid cost matched actual at the end of the project.
How HCSS Software assisted with this project
HeavyBid was crucial in making sure this was a successful project. We had new plans each week (weeks 1 through 5). Each week they re-bid without changing the original contract amount. All plan changes and extra work were entered into HeavyBid weekly. Design decisions were made weekly after reviewing cost by item. Gray & Son used the unbalancing strategy in the bid pricing screen until week 4.