Recently, a spike in a type of malware known as ransomware or CryptoLocker has cost many companies time, money,and frustration. Multiple customers have reported that these attacks are encrypting files in network paths, including file shares used for HCSS products. This can wipe out years of data and keep users from accessing HCSS software. As malicious software gets more advanced, data loss prevention measures are more important than ever. HCSS recommends taking the following precautions to help avoid these viruses:
- Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments in emails from unknown or questionable sources.
- Perform proper backups on a regular basis.
- Use a reputable security/anti-malware package.
- Enable the ability to see full file extensions.
- Ask your IT department about backup processes. If a company is hit by one of these viruses and does not have a viable backup, it may not be possible to recover any data.
For general information about ransomware and ways to prevent an attack, please click here.